This is a very easy and yummy food storage meal. I grew up eating split pea soup. I remember the first time I had it. Mom made it for dinner and I didn't want to try it because it was PEA soup! I hate peas and I couldn't believe they were trying to feed it to me. They knew how I loathed that ugly green vegetable! My dad coaxed me into eating it by telling me it didn't taste like peas and you know what? It didn't taste like peas! It has been a favorite soup of mine ever since!
1 lb. split peas (washed and sorted*)
1/2 pk frozen bacon
1/ onion (diced)
2 stalks of celery (diced)
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
8 cups chicken broth
1. In a frying pan add bacon, sliced into little pieces.
2. Add about 2 Tbsp olive oil to braise the veggies.
3. fry bacon until cooked, using medium heat.
4. Add chopped vegies ( not the garlic and bay leaf)
5. Cook until you have a slightly brown color.
6. Put the peas in your crock pot
7. Add chicken broth, veggie mix, bay leaf, and garlic to the crock pot.
8. turn on the crock pot to low for 8 hours.
9. enjoy yummy soup
Jo's tips: *You need to sort the split peas from any small pebbles that might be hiding in your peas. (it happens). You can also add a dollop of sour cream to the soup. It makes it taste creamier and is so good. If you don't have chicken broth you can add bullion cubes to water. I like lots of salt so I add some to my bowl!